Here are 30 things you can do today to make a difference in Southern Arizona and beyond.
Let's all work together to create a cleaner, friendlier, and more livable Tucson!
Make a Difference:
- Pick up litter. Grab a trash bag and pick up debris for 30 minutes in your neighborhood, at a local park, or along a major street.
- Deliver cookies to someone on your street. You can even print out a free "Welcome to the Neighborhood" tag for brand new neighbors.
- Give blood. You can make a donation appointment with the Red Cross of Southern Arizona...or find a blood drive near you.
- Vote. If you haven't already registered, today is your day. It's fast, easy, and free with EZ Voter Registration online.
- Shop local. Whether you're buying groceries or clothing, consider purchasing from a small business owner in Tucson.
- Attend a non-profit fundraiser. Secure your seat at a ball or charity event that supports a cause you care about.
- Pay your mortgage/rent and maintain your property. Let's all work together to increase property values in Tucson. Pay on time, every time. Also - be proud of your place.
- Take a hike. Get outdoors and enjoy the nature trails that abound.
- Give a child a book. Rich or poor, any child will benefit from the gift of literacy.
- Run in a race for a good cause. Sign up and train for a one-miler, 5K, 1/2 marathon, or full marathon event.
- Become a foster parent. There are thousands of children in Arizona's foster care system...and you can make a huge difference by welcoming one of them into your home.
- Volunteer. Brainstorm causes you care about and then search for an opportunity that fits your interests.
- Quit smoking. Clean up the air - for our kids, for our environment, for yourself. Get help from the Arizona Smokers' Helpline.
- Walk instead of drive. You'll be healthier and trimmer - plus, you'll be decreasing traffic and increasing the air quality in Tucson.
- Befriend an elderly person. Find the time to chat with a senior citizen in your neighborhood or visit a nursing home.
- Give feedback to the businesses you frequent. Did you receive excellent service at a certain breakfast diner? Were you appalled by the state of the restrooms at the mall? Write a letter. Send an e-mail or a tweet. Offer constructive, gentle criticisms and honest compliments.
- Turn off the TV. It will do wonders for your mind and body...plus it will give you more time to do the other 29 things on this list.
- Take a kid to the library. While you're at it, get library cards for everyone in your family.
- Pay attention when you drive. Put down that cell phone and be observant.
- Grow a garden (or participate in the Tucson CSA). Eat fresher foods at a lower cost, while increasing the sustainability of our city.
- Start a business. Stimulate the economy. Pursue your dream. Support entrepreneurs.
- Invite someone over for a meal in your home. It doesn't have to be perfect. All you need is a table, some food, and a warm smile.
- Smile. Let's become known as the city that smiles.
- Get more education. If you never graduated from high school, pursue a GED. If you've never been to college, consider enrolling. If you have your undergrad or grad degree, read a book every week.
- Report suspected child abuse. If you think a child may be in danger, call CPS at 1-888-SOS-CHILD.
- Know who your political representatives are (and talk to them). Enter your zip code on Project Vote Smart for a full listing. As issues arise, send an e-mail, make a phone call, or write a letter.
- Do a random act of kindness.
- Love your spouse. Work on having a marriage that lasts.
- Love your kids. Give them the gift they crave the most - your time and attention.
- Think the best of people.
What other ideas would you add to this list?