As temperatures rise, cold drinks and frosty desserts are on everyone’s mind.
To ensure that you are a savvy ice cream shopper this summer (and all through the year), we’ve compiled a list of the 5 Best Milkshakes in Tucson.
The secret is in the sauce – or the ice cream base, for that matter! The Screamery is the first Arizona ice cream shop to be certified to pasteurize its own ice cream. Starting with milk from grass-fed cows, they use 100% natural ingredients. Can’t go wrong with this delicious house-made ice cream! Even the whipped cream on top comes from certified organic heavy cream. The way ice cream should be – honest-to-goodness ingredients and prepared with love.
- Address: The Screamery, 50 S. Houghton Rd., Tucson
- Hours: Sunday-Thursday, 12:00pm-9:00pm; Friday-Saturday, 12:00pm-10:00pm
- Website: The Screamery
- Tip: Owners Kenny and Linda Sarnoski are often in-store and will likely have answers to your pressing ice cream related questions. This is truly a local and family-owned operation!
The best part about Smashburger’s milkshakes is that they start with creamy Haagen-Dazs ice cream – one of the few commercial ice cream brands that does not use stabilizers like guar gum and xanthan gum. Eight delicious options to choose from – chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, oreo, nutterbutter, butterfinger, salted caramel, and chocolate oreo.
- Address: Three Tucson Locations – 3837 E. Broadway, 4821 E. Grant Rd, 6970 E. 22nd St
- Hours: Every Day, 10:00am-10:00pm
- Website: Smashburger
- Tips: Sign up for the SmashClub to receive a free milkshake on your birthday.
Zinburger Wine & Burger Bar
Zinburger may specialize in burgers and wine, but they have pretty great milkshakes too! The creamy $5 shakes pair well with any of the fries on the menu – zucchini fries, sweet potato fries, double truffle fries, or house-made onion rings. Bonus – Zinburger is airy, modern, urban, and cool. Twelve different flavor options: nutella hazelnut crunch, banana royale, real vanilla malt, double chocolate, salted caramel, strawberry, butterfinger, chocolate mint, cookies & cream, latte, black cow, and 50/50.
- Address: Two Tucson locations – 6390 E. Grant Rd and 1865 E. River Rd
- Hours: Hours for the Grant location are: Sun-Thurs, 11am-9:30pm; Fri-Sat, 11am-10:30pm; Happy Hour Daily 4pm-6pm. Hours for the River location are: Sun-Thurs, 11am-10pm; Fri-Sat, 11am-11pm; Happy Hour Daily 4pm-6pm.
- Website: Zinburger
- Tip: Undecided? Try Salted Caramel!
Little Anthony’s Diner
Little Anthony’s Diner is an absolutely adorable 50’s-style diner – with red sparkly booths, servers in poodle skirts, and black-and-white checked floors. When you order a milkshake, you’ll get it just the way a milkshake should be – a tall glass cup with whipped cream, rainbow sprinkles, and a cherry on top – PLUS the metal cup on the side.
- Address: Little Anthony’s Diner, 7010 E. Broadway Blvd., Tucson
- Hours: Mondays, 10:00am-9:00pm; Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, 10:00am-10:00pm; Fridays 10:00am-11:00pm; Saturdays, 7:30am-11:00pm; Sundays, 7:30am-9:00pm
- Website: Little Anthony’s Diner
- Tip: Bring your camera. This place is great for photo opps!
HUB Ice Cream Factory
If you like your milkshakes sweet and super-unique, try HUB Ice Cream Factory. The new downtown shop features hand-crafted ice cream and “oodles of ever-changing, house-made treats.” 300 rotating flavors, to be exact. This is the place to try something new – Blueberry Pancake, After School Snack, Nutella Brownie, or Bourbon Almond Brittle.
- Address: HUB Ice Cream Factory, 245 E. Congress St., Tucson
- Hours: Sunday-Wednesday, noon-10:00pm; Thursday-Saturday, noon-2:00am
- Website: HUB Ice Cream Factory
- Tip: Open late! This is one of the few upscale shops open into the wee hours to satisfy your late night cravings.
Where is your favorite place to enjoy a milkshake in Tucson?