Balboa Heights Park is a 1.7-acre public park located in northwest Tucson.
The park has one playground, one half-basketball court, picnic tables, and a splash pad. The Marty Birdman Center is also located on the park property.
Where is Balboa Heights Park located?
Balboa Heights Park can be found at 2536 N. Castro Avenue in northwest Tucson.
When is the park open?
Balboa Heights Park is open 7:00am to dusk, daily.
The Naida Jane Baker Splash Pad is open 8:00am to dusk from April 1 to October 31 of each year.
The Marty Birdman Center is open year round, M-F, 1:00-6:00pm. The center is closed on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.
Why would I visit Balboa Heights Park?
- To play on the playground
- To splash at the splash pad
- To attend a class or special event at the Marty Birdman Center
- To drop your child off at an after school or summer program
How much does it cost to visit the park?
Admission to the park and splash pad is free! Classes, childcare, and special events at the Marty Birdman Center typically have a cost.
What is the parking situation at Balboa Heights Park?
Free. There are twelve unshaded parking spots. Two of those are designated for handicap parking.
What should I bring with me when I visit the park?
Water and snacks. Sun safety is encouraged. Prepare for a perfect day at the park with a hat, drinking water, and sunscreen.
What is the best season for visiting the park?
October thru April are ideal because the temperatures tend to be more moderate than in the summer months.
Who should I contact if I have a question, comment, or idea related to Balboa Heights Park?
For questions regarding the park, please contact Tucson Parks and Recreation at 520-791-4873. Business hours are from 8:00am-5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
How many playgrounds are there at Balboa Heights Park?
One. The playground has three slides and a bridge. No swings.
PICNIC AREA & RESTAURANT RECOMMENDATIONS
How many picnic tables are there at Balboa Heights Park?
Three – one under the ramada and two elsewhere in the park.
Are trash cans available and easily accessible?
Are there BBQ grills?
Are there ramadas?
Yes, there is one ramada.
Is there an on-site restaurant or cafe?
What restaurants do you recommend in the area?
Below are our top recommendations within a 3-mile radius.
- El Guero Canelo, 2480 N. Oracle Rd (less than a mile away) – Sonoran Hot Dogs, Mexican street food, burros, tacos, quesadillas
- Club 21, 2920 N. Oracle Rd (less than a mile away) – Tucson’s oldest Mexican restaurant, tacos, chimichangas, children’s menu
- Govinda’s Natural Foods Buffet, 711 E. Blacklidge Dr (1.4 miles away) – vegetarian cuisine, closed on Mondays
- Zemams Too, 119 E. Speedway (1.6 miles away) – Ethiopian, lunch, dinner
- The B Line, 621 N. 4th Ave (2.2 miles away) – breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Reilly Craft Pizza, 101 E. Pennington St. (2.4 miles away) – lunch, dinner, beer garden, basement bar
- Maynards Market, 400 N. Toole Ave (2.5 miles away) – dinner, Sunday brunch, indoor/outdoor
- 47 Scott, 47 N. Scott Ave (2.5 miles away) – a neighborhood bistro featuring Modern American comfort food, brunch and dinner
- Cafe a La C’Art, 150 N. Main Ave (2.5 miles away) – beautiful cafe on-property of the Tucson Museum of Art, indoor + outdoor seating
- The Fix Mac N Chz, 943 E. University Blvd (2.5 miles away) – mac & cheese options and inspired dishes
How close is the nearest grocery store?
Fry’s is less than a mile away.
How close is the nearest pizza delivery place?
Try Upper Crust Pizza for delivery. Time Market (no delivery) or Pieology also offer pizza for carryout or dine-in.
How many sports fields are there?
MARTY BIRDMAN CENTER
What is the Marty Birdman Center?
The Marty Birdman Center, located at Balboa Heights Park, is a 3,400 square foot community center. The center offers numerous activities for kids.
The center has a full kitchen, foosball tables, a ping pong table, a 1/2 basketball court, and a grass area.
What kind of programming is available at Marty Birdman Center?
Programs include: KIDCO, Schoolz-out camp, CACFB snack and meal program, and Friends of Marty Birdman neighborhood association meetings.
Special Events are also held at the Marty Birdman Center throughout the year – Back to School, Thanksgiving Dinner, Cookies with Santa, etc.
Are restrooms available? Where are they located?
Restrooms are not open to the public, except for rentals, due to safety issues. The after-school program has access to those facilities.
|Parks & Rec Facility||YES|
What makes Balboa Heights Park special?
As of January of 2019, Marty Birdman Center/Balboa Heights Park is the city’s first designated “KIDZONE,” which means anyone who uses the park or center must be accompanied by a child. Also, Balboa Heights is one of the few City Of Tucson parks with a Splash Pad.
Check out our other Park Profiles!