Ballet Tucson, Tucson’s professional ballet company, announces Sleeping Beauty as the triumphant finale to the company’s 29th (2014-2015) season on May 2-3 at UA Centennial Hall. Set to Tchaikovsky’s glorious score with choreography after Marius Petipa, the production tells the story of the beautiful Princess Aurora who falls into a century of sleep by the evil sorceress Carabosse, only to be awakened by the kiss of a handsome prince.
Ballet Tucson’s performance marks the 125th Anniversary of Sleeping Beauty, first performed in 1890 in St. Petersburg by the Russian Imperial Ballet. This was Tchaikovsky’s second full-length ballet (his first was Swan Lake), but the first to be choreographed by the legendary Petipa, the most widely hailed choreographer of the late 19th and early 20th Century. Sleeping Beauty is recognized as one of the great ballet scores. Ballet Tucson’s production was originally produced in 2005, by its artistic team, led by founding artistic director Mary Beth Cabana.
- LOCATION: UA Centennial Hall, 1020 E. University Blvd., Tucson
- DATE: Performances on Saturday, May 2, 2015 and Sunday, May 3, 2015
- TIME: 7:30pm on May 2; 2:00pm on May 3
- COST: $30-$47/person; $26-$34 for military, children, students, seniors
- NOTES: Like Ballet Tucson on Facebook; Follow Ballet Tucson on Twitter
One lucky TucsonTopian (that’s you!) will receive 4 tickets to Ballet Tucson’s Sleeping Beauty.
Enter your e-mail below for a chance to win. The deadline is Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 11:59pm.
***The winner is Crystal S. Congratulations!***