Cornerstone Christian Academy is one of approximately ten Christian elementary schools in Tucson. Located in north Tucson on a lush property with beautiful mountain views, the school has 177 students in grades K-6.
The 22,000 square foot facility includes 13 classrooms, art and music rooms, a nature studies garden, and two playgrounds.
CCA is best known for following a Classical Education curriculum, which is characterized by its reliance on classical works by authors such as Homer, Sophocles, Plato, Dante, and Shakespeare – as well as an integration of a Christian worldview into all subjects. Students take Latin beginning in 3rd grade and there is an emphasis on art and music at every grade level. In place of frequent testing in history and science, students make “copybooks” with their own text and illustrations.
Small class sizes are another distinctive. The student/teacher ratio is 14:1 and some classes have as few as nine students.
Their approach seems to be working since the school’s achievement test scores are consistently in the top 20% of the nation. All students are at least one grade level ahead in math (Saxon math is the curriculum of choice).
Interested in enrolling your child(ren) for the 2014-15 school year? Attend an Open House on a Thursday morning (8:30am-11:00am) in 2014 – January 9, February 4, March 20, or April 22. Applications for the upcoming academic year are accepted beginning in late January.
Cornerstone Christian Academy AT A GLANCE
Type of School: private, Grades K-6
Location: 6450 N. Camino Miraval, Tucson
Number of students: 177
Student/Teacher ratio: 14:1
- CLASSICAL CURRICULUM – Classical education is a conscious return to the academic disciplines and methodologies which sparked Western Christendom for the past 1000 years.
- CHRIST-CENTERED – CCA desires to provide an environment where “life and learning are viewed through the redemptive principles of the Scriptures.”
- CHILD-FOCUSED – Cornerstone prides themselves on being a school “where children love to learn.”
- SMALL CLASSES – Most classes have between 9 and 16 students.
- LIVING BOOKS – Classrooms utilize topical books and novels rather than textbooks.
- ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE – Achievement test scores are consistently in the top 20% of the nation.
- INTEGRATED LESSONS – Emphasis on making connections between content areas.
Tuition: Annual tuition rates are as follows –
- 4-day morning kindergarten: $3,905
- 5-day morning kindergarten: $4,642
- all-day kindergarten (4 days): $6,677
- 1st-5th grades: $7,623
- 6th grade: $7,686
Tuition assistance, scholarships, and tax credits are available to help with funding. Discounts are also available for siblings.
Uniforms: No – but there is a “clearly defined dress code”
Bus service: No
Cafeteria: Students bring their own lunch or can purchase a hot lunch.
Full Day or 1/2 Day Kindergarten: Both options are available.
Foreign language: K-2nd graders take Spanish; 3rd-6th graders take Latin.
Sports: In conjunction with the Northwest YMCA
School Hours: 8:10am-2:55pm
Social Media: Cornerstone Christian Academy on Facebook