DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun is a 10-acre art gallery located in the foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains in north Tucson.
On the National Register of Historic Places, this landmark of Southwestern art and architecture was designed and built by acclaimed Arizona artist Ted DeGrazia (1909-1982). The 10-acre foothills site includes the adobe gallery with permanent and rotating exhibits, chapel with interior murals, gift shop, cactus courtyard, the artist’s home, and his grave. An additional gallery is used by local artists on a rotating basis.
Established in 1950 by DeGrazia, the Gallery in the Sun is a favorite among visitors and local Tucsonans alike. DeGrazia is known for his colorful images of Native American children of the Southwest and other Western scenes.
The gallery is open daily from 10:00am to 4:00pm.
Where is DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun located?
The gallery is located at 6300 N. Swan in North Tucson.
What are the hours?
10:00am-4:00pm, daily. Closed on New Year’s Eve, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
Why would I visit DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun?
- To admire the paintings and artwork of Ettore “Ted” DeGrazia
- To enjoy beautiful mountain views and interesting southwestern architecture
- To pray in the chapel
- To attend a wedding
How much does it cost?
Admission is $8.00 for adults, $5.00 for ages 12-18, under 12 are free. An annual individual membership is $25.00 (with two buddy passes) or an annual family membership is $55.00 (with four buddy passes).
What is the parking situation?
There is plenty of free parking – with space for buses and RVs.
What should I wear?
Sunglasses, a hat, and lightweight/breathable clothing. Bring along a sweatshirt if you’re visiting in the winter. The main gallery is air-conditioned and heated. The chapel, little gallery, and first house are not air-conditioned or heated.
What should I bring with me?
Water bottles and a camera are recommended. Note that flash photography is not permitted inside the gallery.
Are bathrooms available?
What is the best season for visiting DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun?
Because Tucson has mild weather almost all year-round, any month would be well-suited for a visit.
Which days of the week are the most and least crowded?
Crowds are typically equally dispersed between the days. If, however, you are interested in scheduling a formal tour…note that tours are only given on weekdays and have to be scheduled with Lance Laber at 520-299-9191, Ext 110 as far in advance as possible.
Is outside food allowed? Are picnic tables available?
Food and drinks are not allowed in the gallery. The tables on the grounds can be used to picnic, but please be sure you pick up your trash afterward.
What dining venues are available on-site?
What restaurants are located NEAR DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun?
There are quite a few excellent picks in the area.
Our top picks within a 4-mile radius include:
- Vivace Restaurant, 6440 N. Campbell Ave (2.3 miles away) – pasta, seafood, wi
- The Grill at Hacienda Del Sol, 5501 N. Hacienda Del Sol Rd. (2.4 miles away) – soups, salad, seafood, gourmet American cuisine
- Blanco Tacos + Tequila, 2905 E. Skyline Dr. (2.4 miles away) – tacos, fajitas, burneritos, margaritas, kid’s menu
- North Italia, 2995 E. Skyline Dr (2.4 miles away) – handmade pasta and pizza
- RA Sushi Bar, 2905 E. Skyline Dr. (2.4 miles away) – sushi, cocktails
- Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar, 6360 N. Cambell Ave (2.5 miles away) – prime steak, fresh seafood, signature dishes
- Commoner & Co, 6960 E. Sunrise Dr (3.9 miles away) – salad, pasta, seafood, cocktails, happy hour
BABIES & KIDS
What ages would be best suited for a visit to DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun?
All ages! We spent about 30 minutes on the property with our 7-year-old, 4-year-old, and 1-year-old. All three enjoyed meandering the grounds and perusing the artwork. That said, older children are probably best able to grasp the history and appreciate the paintings.
Should I bring a stroller?
The main gallery is stroller-accessible and wheelchair-accessible.
Is there a designated area for nursing moms?
No. That said, there are benches and tables in several areas of the property.
Are changing tables available?
Can I have my wedding at DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun?
Yes. Ceremonies are allowed in the chapel. A nonrefundable $100 down payment is required to reserve an hour time slot. Since it is a small chapel, the maximum amount of people is 25.
Receptions are not permitted.
Is DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun active on social media
- DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun on Facebook
- DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun on Twitter
- DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun on Instagram
- DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun on Pinterest
What else do I need to know before I go to DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun?
That just about covers it. Have a great time!