Desert Christian Schools is a Preschool-Grade 12 covenant school system in Tucson that aims to “disciple students in partnership with Christian families while providing a biblically integrated liberal arts education.”
The high school was founded in 1986. The middle school was eventually added in 2000, followed by the elementary in 2004. There are two campuses – the high school campus is at 7525 E. Speedway and the preschool, elementary, and middle campus is at 9415 E. Wrightstown.
High school students take a minimum of 4 years of Language Arts, 4 years of Mathematics, 4 years of Social Studies, 4 years of Bible, 3 years of Science, 2 years of Foreign Language (Spanish, French, or German), 1 year of Fine Arts, and 1 year of Physical Education. Elective options span a variety of topics including Art, Chorus, Handbells, Drama, Yearbook, Mock Trial, Student Council, Introduction to Psychology, and Film Studies. 12th grade students are also required to complete a Senior Expo.
Because the school offers a rigorous, Christ-centered liberal arts education, students consistently outrank state and national ACT and SAT averages.
85-95% of graduates attend colleges, universities, or military academies; including the University of Arizona, Grand Canyon University, Azusa Pacific, Biola University, Hillsdale College, Point Loma Nazarene University, Vanguard University, Westmont College, and more.
Desert Christian High School AT A GLANCE
Type of School: private, Grades 9-12
Accreditation: North Central Association and Association of Christian Schools International
Location: 7525 E. Speedway Blvd, Tucson
Number of students: 170
Student/Teacher ratio: 17:1
Desert Christian High School Distinctives:
- CHRIST-CENTERED – DCS recognizes Jesus Christ as the author, revealer, and sustainer of reality.
- TRADITIONAL LIBERAL ARTS CURRICULUM – Emphasizes the Lordship of Christ in the totality of life. Values truth, goodness, and beauty as embodied in the western Judeo-Christian heritage. Teaches the skills of thinking, communicating, and learning.
- PARTNERS WITH PARENTS – DCS strives to “aid parents in their God-given responsibility to train their children in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.”
- PARTNERS WITH CHURCHES – Over 40 churches are represented among the student body.
- COMMUNITY-MINDED – DCS aims to “help students grow in their responsibilities and duties as citizens to become a source of leadership and service to their neighborhoods, communities, and nation.”
- COMMUNITY SERVICE – Freshmen are required to complete 18 hours. Sophomores: 21 hours. Juniors: 25 hours. Seniors: 30 hours.
- BIBLICAL INTEGRATION IN ALL SUBJECTS
- OUTSTANDING MUSICAL THEATRE/DRAMA PROGRAM – Named “Top Musical Theatre” in State by USA Weekend
Tuition: Annual tuition rates are as follows –
- Projected for 2014-15 school year: $9,530
Tuition assistance, scholarships, and tax credits are available to help with funding. There is also a 50% pastor discount for those in full-time ministry.
Bus service: No
Cafeteria: Students bring their own lunch or can purchase a hot lunch. Juniors and Seniors have the option of going off-campus.
Foreign language: Two year requirement. Students choose between Spanish, French, or German.
Sports: Volleyball, Soccer, Swimming, Basketball, Golf, Softball/Baseball, Track, Tennis. Numerous state and regional athletic titles.
Teachers: All teachers are certified by the State of Arizona. 30% of faculty have masters and/or doctorate degrees.
School Hours: 8:15am-3:00pm
Social Media: Desert Christian Schools on Facebook
and Desert Christian Schools on Twitter