- This event has passed.
Desert Foods Fiesta at Cooper Center for Environmental Learning
October 7, 2017 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pmFree
This event is free and open to the public!
Explore foods of the Sonoran Desert and the many ways in which the sun provides for the planet.
- a talk with David Yetman of In The Americas with David Yetman and the Desert Speaks
- solar cooking with Solar Guild of Tucson
- Demonstrations on how to safely collect prickly pear fruit, extract the juice, and make jellies and syrups, history of the prickly pear, and prickly pear products and other desert treats available for purchase
- Mesquite-pod milling into flour (please bring your mesquite pods and a container; milling fee of $3 per gallon; cash or check only)
- Telescopes for safely viewing the sun
- Refreshments and desert products available from San Xavier Farm Co-Op, Big Skye Bakers, Native Seed/SEARCH, Prest Coffee, just to name a few!