- This event has passed.
Summer Science Saturday at UA’s Kuiper Space Sciences Building
July 14 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pmFree
The Lunar and Planetary Laboratory’s (LPL) free, annual open house, Summer Science Saturday, will highlighting the Sun and the upcoming launch of NASA’s Parker Solar Probe Spacecraft.
11:00 a.m. Lecture
Parker Solar Probe: A Mission to Touch the Sun, Professor Joe Giacalone, Co-Investigator for the Integrated Science Investigation of the Sun (IS☉IS) instrument on Parker Solar Probe. The Parker Solar Probe will swoop to within 4 million miles of the sun’s surface, facing heat and radiation like no spacecraft before it. Launching in 2018, Parker Solar Probe will provide new data on solar activity and make critical contributions to our ability to forecast major space-weather events that impact life on Earth.
All day activities
Children’s activities will be available throughout the day, provided by:
- Boy Scouts of America
- Flandrau Science Center & Planetarium
- Heifer International
- Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research
- Lunar and Planetary Laboratory Graduate Students
- Planetary Science Institute
- The Arizona Native Plant Society, Tucson Chapter
- Texas Instruments
- Tucson Amateur Astronomy Association (TAAA)
- Tucson L5 Space Society
- Tucson Herpetological Society
- UA Insect Collection
- UA Mirror Lab Tour at Richard F. Caris Mirror Lab
- Vatican Observatory
Parking is free at the Cherry Avenue Garage.