Introduce your kids to rock climbing in Tucson!
The BLOC, located at 8975 E. Tanque Verde in East Tucson, is offering a Kids Climb every Saturday & Sunday from 9:00am to 11:00am.
Designed for kids 12 and under, the climb gives children a chance to learn about and experience rock climbing in a 20,000 square-foot air-conditioned, indoor environment.
At first, kids will climb in a special Autobelay area where mechanisms lower the climbers gently back to the ground. As they grow more confident, they can try bouldering – where they climb without ropes over a large pad. Kids are given safety instructions about how to fall properly.
There is no minimum age, but a representative from the BLOC told us that “most kids under two don’t climb much.” The Kids Climb is probably best suited for ages 3-12.
The cost is $15 per child, which includes the climbing and all rental gear.
Notes + Instructions
- Kids of any age and adults are always welcome during regular climbing hours though the price will not be the special $15 “Kids Climb” price.
- Climbers under 18 years of age need to have a waiver signed by a parent/guardian prior to participating.
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Wear comfortable athletic clothing that does not constrict movement.
- The BLOC is a sister company to Rocks & Ropes, a 15,000 square foot facility in downtown Tucson that offers indoor rock climbing for inexperienced to skilled climbers.
- Rocks and Ropes also has a Kids Climb, but R&R uses volunteers to belay the kids so the number of kids they can host is limited by the number of volunteers (usually 2-3 per volunteer). The Bloc uses Autobelays and bouldering so they do not have the same limits.
- If your child loves the experience, he/she may want to consider joining the youth rock climbing team next year. The season runs September to May. For more information, contact [email protected].