Morris K. Udall Park (known to most Tucsonans as simply “Udall Park”) is one of the largest parks on the East Side of Tucson. Positioned along Tanque Verde Road just east of Sabino Canyon Road, the 173-acre park is home to a recreation center, outdoor amphitheater, sports fields, tennis courts, sand volleyball courts, horseshoe pits, bocce courts, a playground, an off-leash dog park, and three different walking paths (0.5, 0.6, and 0.8 miles). The walking paths also connect to the Chuck Huckleberry Loop, which connects the Santa Cruz River, the Rillito, Pantano, Harrison Greenway, and Julian Wash for a total of more than 120 miles.
The Morris K. Udall Recreation Center is also on-property and boasts the following amenities.
- Weight room
- Cardiovascular equipment
- Indoor walking track
- Handball/racquetball courts
- Billiard tables
- Dance room
- Meeting rooms
- Open gym: basketball, volleyball, badmiton, pickleball
- Pottery studio (leisure classes only)
- Arts/crafts room (leisure classes only)
Where is Morris K. Udall Park located?
7290 E. Tanque Verde Road on the East side of Tucson.
When is the park open?
6:00am – 10:30pm
Why would I visit Udall Park?
- To go for a walk, bike, or run on one of the wide paths encircling the park
- To enjoy a picnic with family and friends
- To cheer on a sports team
- To play tennis
- To let your dog play in the off-leash area
- To go swimming at the public pool (open seasonally, April thru Nov)
- To walk/run the indoor track in the warmer months
- To start up a game of sand volleyball with friends
How much does it cost to visit the park?
Admission to the park is free! Daily admission to the Udall Pool is $2/adult (18+) and $1/youth (17 and under). Daily admission to the Recreation Center is $1.50/adult or $1/youth.
What is the parking situation at Udall Park?
Free. Plentiful and covered. Pull-in style parking.
What should I bring with me when I visit the park?
Water and snacks.
What is the best season for visiting the park?
October thru April are ideal because the temperatures tend to be more moderate than in the summer months. That said, Udall Park can definitely be enjoyed in the summer months – especially because there is a swimming pool (open April-November) and indoor walking track available at the on-site Morris K. Udall Recreation Center.
Who should I contact if I have a question, comment, or idea related to Udall Park?
For questions regarding the park, please contact Tucson Parks and Recreation at 520-791-4873.
How many playgrounds are there at Udall Park?
One. The brightly colored green & turquoise playground has two slides, a climbing apparatus, a drum, a small rock climbing style wall, monkey bars, and swings.
Are the playgrounds shaded?
Is there an area for tots & babies?
The playground is small and well-suited for toddlers. There are also baby swings.
How many tables are there at Udall Park?
Quite a few concrete picnic tables (some uncovered; some with ramadas) are located throughout the park.
Are trash cans available and easily accessible?
Are there BBQ grills?
Is power available at all of the ramadas?
Is there an on-site restaurant or cafe?
All this playing is making us hungry. What restaurants do you recommend in the area?
So many great options! Our top picks within a 2-mile radius are:
- Zona 78, 7301 E. Tanque Verde Rd (0.2 miles away) – artisan pizza, Italian specialties, beer, wine, cocktails, happy hour
- Renee’s Organic Oven, 7065 E. Tanque Verde Road (0.5 miles away) – salads, subs, pasta, pizza, homemade bread, gluten-free menu
- Tino’s Pizza, 6610 E. Tanque Verde Rd (1.0 mile away) – pizza, wings, sandwiches, lunch specials, gluten-free crusts available
- Zinburger Wine & Burger Bar, 6390 E. Grant Rd (1.3 miles away) – burgers, shakes, salads, wine, cocktails
- Prep & Pastry, 6450 E. Grant Rd (1.3 miles away) – breakfast, brunch, lunch, booze, pastries, locally sourced
- Sauce Pizza & Wine, 6450 E. Grant Rd (1.3 miles away) – hand-stretched pizzas, pasta, salads, paninis, vegetarian + gluten-free options, wine, pizza cookie
- Little Anthony’s Diner, 7010 E. Broadway (1.8 miles away) – fun 50’s atmosphere, pizza, burgers, milkshakes
How close is the nearest grocery store?
Safeway is across the street. Costco is 1.4 miles away. Trader Joe’s is 1.5 miles away.
How close is the nearest pizza delivery place?
How many sports fields are there?
Morris K. Udall Park has:
- baseball/softball fields
- soccer fields
- sand volleyball courts
- tennis courts
- horseshoe pits
- bocce courts
- batting cages
Is it free to use the tennis courts? What are the hours? Is equipment available for rent?
It is free to use the tennis courts. Park hours are 6:00am – 10:30pm. No equipment is available for rent.
Is it free to use the sand volleyball courts? What are the hours? Is equipment available for rent?
It is free to use the sand volleyball courts when not rented, but nets are not provided. Park hours are 6:00am – 10:30pm. Outdoor nets and volleyballs are available for rent at the recreation center.
Are there indoor volleyball courts at the Udall Center? What are the hours? Is there a fee to play/use them?
There is a multi-use gymnasium that can accommodate volleyball set-up. “Open Volleyball” is on Saturdays from 1:00pm – 3:45pm. In order to participate, you must be a member or pay the daily fee.
Are restrooms available? Where are they located?
Are toilet seat covers available?
Is a family restroom available?
Can I rent a ramada for a birthday party or other event?
Yes. The rent is $15-$20 for a half-day or $25-$30 for a full day. Find more information here.
|Parks & Rec Facility||YES|
Udall Park is a well-designed and well-established large regional park with beautiful mountain views, a wonderful walking/running path, plentiful sports fields, a recreational center, a swimming pool, and other amenities.
Check out our other Park Profiles!