Morris K. Udall Park (known to most Tucsonans as simply “Udall Park”) is one of the largest parks on the East Side of Tucson. Positioned along Tanque Verde Road just east of Sabino Canyon Road, the 173-acre park is home to a recreation center, outdoor amphitheater, sports fields, tennis courts, sand volleyball courts, horseshoe pits, bocce courts, a playground, an off-leash dog park, and three different walking paths (0.5, 0.6, and 0.8 miles).
The Morris K. Udall Recreation Center is also on-property and boasts the following amenities.
- Weight room
- Cardiovascular equipment
- Indoor walking track
- Handball/racquetball courts
- Billiard tables
- Dance room
- Meeting rooms
- Open gym: basketball, volleyball, badmiton, pickleball
- Pottery studio (leisure classes only)
- Arts/crafts room (leisure classes only)
Where is Morris K. Udall Park located?
7290 E. Tanque Verde Road on the East side of Tucson.
When is the park open?
6:00am – 10:30pm
Why would I visit Udall Park?
- To go for a walk, bike, or run on one of the wide paths encircling the park
- To enjoy a picnic with family and friends
- To cheer on a sports team
- To play tennis
- To let your dog play in the off-leash area
- To go swimming at the public pool (open seasonally, April thru Nov)
- To walk/run the indoor track in the warmer months
- To start up a game of sand volleyball with friends
How much does it cost to visit the park?
Admission to the park is free! Daily admission to the Udall Pool is $2 for adults (18+) and $1 for youths (17 and under).
What is the parking situation at Udall Park?
Free. Plentiful. Pull-in style parking.
What should I bring with me when I visit the park?
Water and snacks.
What is the best season for visiting the park?
October thru April are ideal because the temperatures tend to be more moderate than in the summer months. That said, Udall Park can definitely be enjoyed in the summer months – especially because there is a swimming pool (open April-November) and indoor walking track available at the on-site Morris K. Udall Recreation Center.
Who should I contact if I have a question, comment, or idea related to Udall Park?
For questions regarding the park, please contact the Tucson Parks and Recreation District Administration Office at 520-791-4873. Business hours are from 8:00am-5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
How many playgrounds are there at Udall Park?
Just one. The playground features one slide, monkeybars, two regular swings, and two infant swings.
What is the ground surface beneath the playgrounds?
Mostly dirt, with some rubber surfaces underneath the slides.
Are the playgrounds shaded?
Is there an area for tots & babies?
How many tables are there at Udall Park?
Quite a few concrete picnic tables (some uncovered; some with ramadas) are located throughout the park.
Are trash cans available and easily accessible?
Are there BBQ grills?
Is power available at all of the ramadas?
Is there an on-site restaurant or cafe?
All this playing is making us hungry. What restaurants do you recommend in the area?
So many great options! Our top picks within a 2-mile radius are:
- Zona 78, 7301 E. Tanque Verde Rd (0.2 miles away) – artisan pizza, Italian specialties, beer, wine, cocktails, happy hour
- Renee’s Organic Oven, 7065 E. Tanque Verde Road (0.5 miles away) – salads, subs, pasta, pizza, homemade bread, gluten-free menu
- Baggin’s Gourmet Sandwiches, 7233 E. Speedway Blvd. (0.8 miles away) -sandwiches, salads
- Tino’s Pizza, 6610 E. Tanque Verde Rd (1.0 mile away) – pizza, wings, sandwiches, lunch specials, gluten-free crusts available
- Zinburger Wine & Burger Bar, 6390 E. Grant Rd (1.3 miles away) – burgers, shakes, salads, wine, cocktails
- Prep & Pastry, 6450 E. Grant Rd (1.3 miles away) – breakfast, brunch, lunch, booze, pastries, locally sourced
- Sauce Pizza & Wine, 6450 E. Grant Rd (1.3 miles away) – hand-stretched pizzas, pasta, salads, paninis, vegetarian + gluten-free options, wine, pizza cookie
- Little Anthony’s Diner, 7010 E. Broadway (1.8 miles away) – fun 50’s atmosphere, pizza, burgers, milkshakes
- El Taco Tote, 1340 N. Wilmot Rd (1.8 miles away) – Mexican grill, salsa bar
How close is the nearest grocery store?
Safeway at 7177 E. Tanque Verde Road is 0.3 miles away. Costco at 6255 E. Grant Road is 1.4 miles away. Trader Joe’s at 1101 N. Wilmot Road is 1.5 miles away.
How close is the nearest pizza delivery place?
Grandma Tony’s Pizza at 7878 E. Wrightstown Road is 0.7 miles away. Tino’s Pizza at 6610 E. Tanque Verde Rd is 1 mile away. Another option is to order a $10 pizza from Costco (they’re huge!) – Call 520.886.4596.
How many sports fields are there?
Morris K. Udall Park has:
- baseball/softball fields
- soccer fields
- sand volleyball courts
- tennis courts
- horseshoe pits
- bocce courts
- batting cages
Are restrooms available? Where are they located?
Are toilet seat covers available?
Is a family restroom available?
Can I rent a ramada for a birthday party or other event?
Yes. The rent is $15-$20 for a half-day or $25-$30 for a full day. Find more information here: http://cms3.tucsonaz.gov/parksandrec/permits.
|Parks & Rec Facility||YES|
Udall Park is a large regional park with beautiful mountain views, a wonderful walking/running path, and plentiful sports fields. It’s well-designed, well-maintained, and well-established. The most glaring lack in the midst of the lovely amenities is a well-thought-out area for kids to play. For the park of its size and caliber, the playground is rather old and shabby. Renovations are in order to make the park a more desirable place for families in the adjacent neighborhoods and throughout East Tucson. Perhaps design inspiration could be taken from the West Wetlands Park (“Castle Park”) in Yuma?
- replacement of the existing playground with a safer, more modern, and more extensive playground
- addition of a splash pad
Perhaps Sabino Road Baptist Church, El Camino Baptist Church, and/or Calvary Tucson could partner together to raise the funds? Or the students of University High School could take this on as a school project?
Check out our other Park Profiles!