There is no denying that summers in Tucson are sweltering! What better way to combat the heat than by jumping in the pool?
Whether you have an infant, a toddler, a preschooler, or an older child, we have the scoop on swim lessons around Tucson.
Below you will find options for group swim lessons, private swim lessons, swim instructors that come to your home, infant survival swimming, and more.
Whenever possible, we have tried to include swim lesson options in Tucson, Oro Valley, Marana, Sahuarita, and Vail.
P.S. If you have a more confident swimmer (child or teen), you may also want to look through our list of swim teams.
DEMONT FAMILY SWIM SCHOOL
Located in northwest Tucson, DeMont Family Swim School offers weekly, year-round, half-hour swim lessons for people 2 months and up using “an internationally recognized, proven, systematic, fun and developmentally appropriate method for teaching children to learn to swim.”
The welcoming family atmosphere includes two indoor pools with water heated to 90 degrees, a state-of-the-art fresh air ventilation system in the pool area, a glass-walled and air-conditioned observation lobby for parents, and year-round instruction. Handicap-accessible showers and locker rooms are also available. Lessons are offered every day of the week (including in the winter!) and the maximum number of students per class is 4. Private lessons are also an option for an additional fee.
- LOCATION: 2850 W. Ina Road, Suite 130, Tucson
- COST: $75.60 per month for group classes (4 kids per class; $18.90 per lesson). Lessons are once a week for a half hour. There is also a $50 one-time family registration fee and you must register for a minimum of 8 lessons.
- OF NOTE: DeMont offers FREE Baby Splash classes for 2-5 month olds. Lessons are once a week for 20 minutes.
- CALL: 520-877-7946
- SOCIAL MEDIA: Like DeMont Swim School on Facebook.
- REGISTER FOR SWIM LESSONS
INFANT SWIMMING RESOURCE (ISR)
Infant Swimming Resource (ISR) offers individualized lessons for ages 6 months through 6 years old. The proven method ensures that all children are successful and completely independent in approximately six weeks. Lessons are available year-round.
- LOCATION: East/Southeast and Central/Foothills/NE
- CALL: Tracie Paulsen (East/Southeast) at 520-612-4706 or Sheryl Rothe (Central/Foothills/NE) at 520-312-5226
- SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Infant Swimming Resource on Facebook and Instagram
- REGISTER BY CALLING OR EMAILING THE LISTED CONTACTS
TUCSON PARKS & RECREATION
Tucson Parks & Recreation offers affordable summer swim lessons at locations around the city.
Lessons are offered in four two-week sessions, with eight lessons per session, during June and July. There are 20 pools throughout the city open from May 30 through July 31.
Classes are scheduled in response to demand, with an emphasis on classes for the youngest children.
- Parent and Child Classes (ages 6 Months to 3 Years) – Parents are taught to safely work with their children in the water as they learn the skills to help prepare them to learn how to swim. In-water participation by parent or other care-giving adult is required for each child. Children almost 4 years old who complete Parent-Child Lessons may advance to Preschool Lessons with instructor recommendation.
- Preschool Classes (ages 4 or 5 Years) – Classes of approximately 6 children work with an instructor as they learn to safely enter and exit the water, make progress through the water using arms and legs, and float and recover. All skills are performed with instructor support. Parents observe from an area away from poolside. Children who are nearly 6 and complete Preschool Lessons may advance to Learn-to-Swim Level 2 or 3 Classes with instructor recommendation.
- Summer Swim Lessons (6 Years and Older): See below to determine the right level for your child.
Level 1: Introduction to Water Skills – Children who have not completed Preschool Classes learn to safely enter and exit the water, make progress through the water using arms and legs, and float and recover. All skills are performed with instructor support.
Level 2: Fundamental Aquatic Skills – Children perform Level 1 skills, swimming several body lengths without instructor support.
Level 3: Stroke Development – Children learn the front crawl and elementary backstroke, swimming each 15 yards, and are introduced to the scissors and dolphin kicks and treading water.
Level 4: Stroke Improvement – Swimmers practice front crawl and elementary backstroke and are introduced to sidestroke, back crawl, breaststroke, butterfly, and turning at the wall.
Level 5: Stroke Refinement – Swimmers practice front crawl, back crawl, butterfly, breaststroke, elementary backstroke, and sidestroke over increasing distances and are introduced to flip turns.
Level 6: Advanced Classes -Specialty classes in Swimming and Skill Proficiency, Personal Water Safety, Fundamentals of Diving, or Fitness. Area of focus determined by Pool Supervisor.
- LOCATION: Multiple locations citywide
- COST: $15 per 2-week session
- OF NOTE: $2 summer swim lessons are available to the first 1,400 registered children (6 months to 17 years old) who qualify for the Discount Program.
- CALL: 520-791-4877
- SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Tucson Parks & Recreation on Facebook and Twitter.
- REGISTRATION FOR SESSION 1 OPENS ONLINE ON MAY 9, 2019