Tucson Bike Tours is a company that specializes in bicycle tours of Tucson's historic neighborhoods around downtown, 4th avenue, and the university.
Established in 2014 by a former Peace Corps volunteer and his wife, the tour takes you on a 9-11 mile tour through the heart of the city.
Each tour includes an individually fitted bicycle & helmet, water, and a knowledgable guide.
Where do you meet for the tour?
The meeting place is at the Tucson Bike Tours office at 215 N. Hoff Avenue near Congress and Toole.
What time are the tours?
There are three different tours to choose from.
- The Historic City Tour is at 9:00am and 12:oopm (noon).
- The Mural Tour is at 3:00pm, which will allow you to see 35-40 murals around town!
- TheTaco Tour, which visits the south side (where the best tacos are!), starts at either 3:00pm or 6:00pm, depending on the time of year.
Tucson Bike Tours is a super fun option for Date Night in Tucson!
How long do the tours last?
Tours last approximately 2 1/4 hours.
How much biking is there?
You can expect to bike 9 to 11 miles at a relaxed pace.
How "fit" do I need to be?
The company has this to say, “If you are able to go for a 2 hour walk around some city neighborhoods with rest breaks mixed in, then you should be fit enough to join this tour.”
What neighborhoods/areas will we visit?
- Iron Horse - Ride into the belly of a massive rattlesnake bridge.
- Downtown - See the old train depot and the revitalized city center.
- Presidio - Tucson's oldest buildings and the birthplace of the chimichanga.
- Barrio Viejo - Colorful adobe homes and fascinating shrines.
- The Loop - Cruise the corridor with the longest farming history in the USA.
- Warehouse Arts District - Check out cool murals.
- 4th Avenue - Pedal our funkiest street, past unique shops and meeting spots.
The tour emphasizes the history of the area and local neighborhoods rather than commercial development.
How much does it cost?
- $50/rider for the Historic City Tour or the Mural Tour
- $70/rider for the Taco Tour
What is the parking situation?
Tucson Bike Tours has some signed parking in the lot off Hoff. If full, additional parking can be found along Ironhorse Park and at Centro Garage, located on Toole Avenue between Congress St and Broadway Blvd.
What should I wear?
Wear comfortable weather-appropriate clothes that are suitable for biking. A good choice would be shorts or fitness capris and a breathable tech shirt. Closed toe shoes are recommended; no flip flops
What should I bring with me?
- Snack (optional)
- Cash (for snacks or dinner afterward)
Are bathrooms available?
Yes. There are restrooms at the beginning and end of the tour, plus a stop in the middle of the tour at a public park.
Is any food included?
Water bottles - yes. A small snack from a local bakery is typically included.
What restaurants are located NEAR the Tucson Food Tours office?
You’re in luck! There are gads of terrific restaurants in Downtown Tucson. Our top picks within walking distance are:
- The Coronet, 402 E. 9th Street (199 feet away) - patio, brunch, lunch, happy hour, dinner, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free
- Maynards Market, 400 N. Toole Ave (0.1 miles away) - 5 best brunches, dinner, dessert
- 47 Scott, 47 N. Scott Ave (0.3 miles away) – a neighborhood bistro featuring Modern American comfort food, brunch and dinner
- Reilly Craft Pizza & Dinner, 101 E. Pennington St (0.3 miles away) – pizza, sandwiches, salad, beer, wine, cocktails
- Cafe a La C’Art, 150 N. Main Ave (0.6 miles away) – beautiful cafe on-property of the Tucson Museum of Art, indoor + outdoor seating
BABIES & KIDS
What ages would be best suited for Tucson Bike Tours? Can I bring my kids?
Tucson Bike Tours caters to adults. Due to the length of the tour (9 to 11 miles, 2½ hours), the tour is not recommended for young children. Physically capable teenagers that can follow safety instructions are encouraged to join. Riders must be at least 4'8" (142cm) tall in order to participate.
Can I arrange a private tour for my business or for a party?
Absolutely! Tucson Bike Tours is happy to work with groups (large + small). Tour groups tend to range from 2 to 6 people with a maximum group size of 8. Group discounts are available.
Is Tucson Bike Tours active on social media?
Yes! You can follow Tucson Bike Tours on Facebook.
What else do I need to know before I go on a tour with Tucson Bike Tours?
- Advance tickets are required.
- Since a basket or handlebar bag is provided, feel free to bring your smartphone with you. There are stops every 15 minutes or so - and you'll definitely have time to snap a few photos.
- Tucson Bike Tours is closed from June through September.