Nestled among 250 acres at the base of the Santa Catalina Mountains, Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa boasts stunning desert views and fun for the whole family.
Scroll through our comprehensive Resort Report for answers to frequently asked questions – plus information how you can score great deals on a staycation or vacation this year.
What are the rooms like?
The resort recently underwent a $30 million renovation, including a new pool design and reinvented guest rooms.
There are 487 guest rooms (choose between 2 double beds or 1 king). Traditional and deluxe rooms are 475 square feet and have private outdoor balconies. Some of the new amenities include:
- Radio Frequency ID (RFID) key card lock system
- Headboard incorporated with LED technology, adjustable reading lights
- Executive desk with power outlets and strong Wi-Fi signal
- 42” HD-TV
- Smart® mini-refrigerator
- Expanded walk-in shower with Westin Heavenly Rain Forest Showerhead
- Full length mirror
- Deep soaking bathtub with tiled surface
- Lighted makeup mirror
25 suites are also available for those who desire more space (and have a bigger wallet). ;)
What is there to do on-site at the resort?
For those who want to stay fit during their stay, there’s a WestinWORKOUT facility – which includes group classes, weight machines, indoor racquetball courts, and steam rooms.
If you enjoy tennis or golf, you’ll want to bring your clubs out to the 27-hole Jack Nicklaus Signature golf course or pick up a racquet at one of the 10 on-site tennis courts (eight of which are lighted for night play).
Are there kid-friendly activities?
There are 5 swimming pools – including one with Southern Arizona’s longest resort waterslide. At 177 feet, it’s always a hit – especially for kids ages 6 and up. Kids must be 42″ tall to ride.
A Westin Kids Club is available on-site for children, ages 1-12. The club has games, toys, books, movies, arts & crafts, ping pong, and an outdoor play area. Reservations are requested 24 hours in advance. The rate is $12/hour.
The breakfast Kids Menu at AZuL is surprisingly affordable. $1.95-$3.95 for entrees (includes a drink!) or $6.95 for the buffet.
What fun things are there to do within 5 miles of the resort?
- Head to Brandi Fenton Memorial Park to get wet at the free splash pad. Open April 20-October 31. A shaded playground and picnic tables are also available. 2.9 miles away.
- Shop at La Encantada – an indoor/outdoor shopping center with Anthropologie, Ann Taylor, Apple Store, Crate & Barrel, Gymboree, J.Crew, etc. Also in the shopping center is Mildred & Dildred, a quaint children’s toy store that offers free storytimes, every Tuesday at 10:30am and every Thursday at 3:30pm. 1 mile away.
- Sabino Canyon is 5.6 miles away. A super place to run, hike, bike, or take pictures! $5 per vehicle per day or $20 per vehicle per year.
- The Tucson Botanical Gardens are 4.6 miles away. The mini oasis in central Tucson is a nice spot for kids to run free or for adults to meander with a camera in-hand. $4-$7.50 for kids and $8-$13 for adults, depending on the season. Children 3 and under are always free.
Where can we eat?
AZuL Restaurant is open daily for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The upscale dining venue features American Continental foods. Expect to pay $12-$14 for breakfast entrees; $12-$18 for lunch; and $19-$28 for dinner. As of March 2013, Westin La Paloma has a new Executive Chef. Russell Michel has over 30 years of hospitality experience and hails from California.
Other on-site eateries include Sabino’s Pool Bar & Grill, Courtside Deli, and Espresso at La Paloma (serves Starbucks drinks).
Great restaurant options to consider off property include: Blanco Tacos & Tequila, NORTH Fattoria Italiana, RA Sushi Bar, and The Grill at Hacienda del Sol. All four are within one mile of the resort.
If you prefer to pick up your own snack and meal items, AJ’s Fine Foods (an upscale grocer) and Safeway are just 1.5 miles away. Trader Joe’s is 3.8 miles.
What is the best month/season to visit?
Weather-wise, your best bet would be to enjoy the heavenly winter and spring months – January through early May.
That said, you can enjoy smokin’ rates in the warmer months. This summer, you can be the first to experience the rejuvenated guest rooms and newly remodeled pools for $99 per night. With your reservation, you’ll receive a complimentary Passport to Savings booklet with vouchers for over $200 in savings for resort amenities. Plus, you’ll be treated to complimentary chilled goodies and fun activities such as face painting, limbo contests, and slide races! The $99 per night room rates apply for standard guest room reservations for stays between May 19 and September 7, 2013. Call 888-627-7201 for reservations and ask for the Passport rate plan or book online.
You can also keep your eye on the Westin La Paloma Facebook page for deals all year-round.
Can I host an event or have my wedding at Westin La Paloma?
Yes! The Westin La Paloma has 60,000 square feet of conference/meeting space. Enhancements include brand new carpeting, pristine banquet equipment, and state-of-the-art audio/visual equipment.
- ADDRESS: 3800 E. Sunrise Drive, Tucson
- PHONE: 520-742-6000
- PEAK SEASON: January-Early May + October
- OFF-SEASON: Late May – Mid-September
- PARKING: Complimentary self-parking; Valet is available for $20/night
- WIFI: available for a fee
- RESORT FEE: unknown
- FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/WestinLaPaloma
- TWITTER:[email protected]