If you live in northwest Tucson near the bustling intersection of Oracle and Ina, you’ll want to stop in at Nanini Library. This 15,000-square-foot library opened in September 1979, built with funds from the 1974 and 1986 bond elections.
Where is the Nanini Library located?
The Nanini Library is located at Shannon & Ina, directly behind the DeMont Family Swim School, in northwest Tucson. The address is: 6300 N. Shannon Road.
Who is the Nanini Library named after?
The Library was named in honor of Sam and Giaconda Nanini in recognition of their community and philanthropic involvement in northwest Tucson. The Naninis donated the 3-acre parcel of land where the Library now sits.
When was Nanini Library last renovated?
New carpet was installed in 2017. The last full renovation of Nanini Library took place in 2002.
What are the hours?
Monday – Thursday: 10am–8pm
What is the parking situation at the library?
Free and plentiful covered parking.
Why would I visit the Nanini Library?
- To check out materials – including DVDs, audio books, CDs, cookbooks, novels, and children’s books.
- To attend a Storytime with your baby, toddler, or preschooler.
- To browse the rotating art displays, featuring work by local artists.
- To use wifi, wireless printing, or one of the public computers.
- To conduct a meeting or study in one of the library’s meeting spaces.
- To seek Job Help and get support with everything from creating an email account to resume writing.
How much does it cost?
Admission to libraries is always free.
What is the cost of a library card?
FREE! Library cards are available as a complimentary amenity for all Pima County residents.
How many study rooms are available?
One study room (4 people maximum) is available.
How many meeting rooms are there?
The Nanini Library features one large meeting room (95 people maximum), which serves as a gathering space for an incredible array of programs for kids, teens, and families. To name a few, STEAM Ahead Storytimes, Read to a Dog, Code Club, and Lego Club. To see all that’s happening at this Library, visit the online event calendar.
This Library also features one small meeting room (12 people maximum).
Visit the Library’s website for more information or to reserve the meeting room.
Are bathrooms available?
Is outside food allowed in the library?
Food & drink guidelines are the same systemwide.
“We ask that you act responsibly when consuming food and drink in the Library. Please clean up after yourself and alert staff if you need assistance with a spill.”
Food and drink are permitted throughout the library except while using special collections.
Beverages need to be in covered containers.
Delivery of food to the library is not permitted.
Is there a snack bar, cafe, or vending machines?
This Library does not have a snack bar, café, or vending machines.
What restaurants are located NEAR Nanini Library?
There are a plethora of outstanding dining options in the area! Our top picks within 4 miles are:
- MOD Pizza, 3780 W. Ina Rd (1.7 miles away) – personal-size artisan-style pizzas, 30+ toppings
- Ikkyu, 2040 W. Orange Grove Rd (2.3 miles away) – authentic Japanese cuisine
- Wildflower American Cuisine, 7037 N. Oracle Rd (3.3 miles away) – lunch, dinner, happy hour
- Sauce Pizza & Wine, 7117 N. Oracle Rd (3.3 miles away) – pizza, pasta, paninis, kids menu
- Tucson Tamale Company, 7286 N. Oracle Rd (3.6 miles away) – gourmet tamales, 20 flavors
- Truland Burgers & Greens, 7332 N. Oracle Rd (3.8 miles away) – chopped salads, premium burgers, outdoor patio, craft beer, wine
- Bottega Michelangelo, 420 W. Magee Rd (4.0 miles away) – Southern Italian comfort food
BABIES & KIDS
Should I bring a stroller?
The library is small and walking will be minimal so a stroller is probably unnecessary.
Is there a designated area for nursing moms?
No. That said, there are comfortable chairs located throughout the library.
Are changing tables available?
Is there a Children’s Area?
Yes! The children’s area sits on the right-hand side upon entering the building. Featuring an abundance of materials, this welcoming space also includes a large tactile activity center and an entrance to the newly designed children’s patio. Of the 79,492 items available in Nanini’s collection, nearly 29,000 are for children!
Is there a Teen Area?
Yes, the Nanini Library features a small teen area.
What ages would be best suited for a library visit?
Can I have my child’s birthday party, wedding reception, or corporate meeting at the Nanini Library?
The Nanini Library has two meeting rooms (see above). The rooms can be used at no charge “for organizations engaged in educational, cultural, civic, intellectual, or charitable activities.”
Is the Nanini Library active on social media?
What makes the Nanini Library special?
There’s so much to love about Nanini Library! The staff is friendly, helpful, and dedicated to providing customers with a wonderful experience every time they walk through the door. This library also has amazing views, solar panels (covered parking!) in the parking lot, and a children’s patio for events in the cooler months. Plus, the Library has a fair number of nooks that make for great reading spots!
That just about covers it. Have a great time!