Pusch Ridge Christian Academy is a sixth through twelfth grade school, “rooted in Christ with a classically influenced college preparatory curriculum.” Located in north Tucson on a lush 48-acre campus with beautiful mountain views, the school has 481 students in grades 6-12.
Because the school has a college prep emphasis, there are a number of honors and AP classes available – which count for dual college credit. The school also offers a college counseling program that is personally designed for each student beginning in ninth grade. The average student SAT score is 200 points higher than the national average and 98.3% of graduates matriculate to an institution of higher learning.
Middle schoolers take a rigorous curriculum that includes Latin, logic, and specialized math placement (based on mastery rather than grade level).
High school students take a minimum of 4 years of English, 4 years of Mathematics, 4 years of Social Studies, 4 years of Bible, 3 years of Science, 2 years of Foreign Language (Spanish or Latin), 1 year of Fine Arts, and 2 Electives. Elective options span a variety of topics including P.E., Band, Chorus, Drama, Painting, Leadership, Graphic Design, Robotics, Creative Writing, and more. Students are also required to complete a minimum of 20 hours of community service each year.
The class of 2013 received scholarships totaling over $8.2 million and went on to Arizona State University, Azusa Pacific University, Biola College, Hillsdale College, Notre Dame, Pepperdine University, Texas A&M, the United States Air Force Academy, and more.
Interested in enrolling your child(ren) for the 2014-15 school year? Attend an Open House on a Saturday morning (9:00am-11:00am) in 2014 – January 18, February 8, March 22, or April 12. Applications for the upcoming academic year are accepted beginning in late January.
Pusch Ridge Christian Academy AT A GLANCE
Type of School: private, Grades 6-12
Accreditation: North Central Association and Association of Christian Schools International
Location: 9500 N. Oracle Rd., Tucson
Number of students: 170 students in Grades 6-8; 311 students in grades 9-12
Student/Teacher ratio: 15:1
- CLASSICALLY INFLUENCED CURRICULUM – Classical education is a conscious return to the academic disciplines and methodologies which sparked Western Christendom for the past 1000 years.
- RIGOROUS, COLLEGE PREP CURRICULUM – Achievement test scores are consistently in the top 20% of the nation. 42 students have been designated National Merit Semi-Finalists, Finalists, Scholars, or Commended Scholars since 2001.
- INDIVIDUAL COLLEGE COUNSELING – beginning in the 9th grade.
- EMPHASIS ON FINE ARTS – The high school and the middle schools do two productions each of drama, band, and choir.
- SMALL CLASS SIZES – Average class size is 15.
- COMMUNITY SERVICE REQUIREMENT – 20 hours per students per year.
- CHRIST-CENTERED – CCA desires to provide an environment where “life and learning are viewed through the redemptive principles of the Scriptures.”
Tuition: Annual tuition rates are as follows –
- 6th-8th grade: $7,686
- 9th-12th grade: $8,437
Tuition assistance, scholarships, and tax credits are available to help with funding. Discounts are also available for siblings.
Bus service: No
Cafeteria: Students bring their own lunch or can purchase a hot lunch.
Foreign language: 6th-8th graders take Latin; 9th-12th grades take a minimum of two years of a foreign language (Spanish or Latin; AP is available).
Sports: Middle School sports include: Tackle Football, Volleyball, Tennis, Cheerleading, Cross-Country, Soccer, Softball, Basketball, and Track and Field. High School sports include: Football, Volleyball, Cross-Country, Cheerleading, Swimming, Basketball, Soccer, Baseball, Softball, Track and Field, Golf, Tennis. PRCA’s athletic teams have won over 65 sectional and regional titles, 11 state runners-up, 10 state final four, and 13 state championships in 19 sports since 2001.
Teachers: All have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and are accredited by the state. 50% have a Masters degree; 1 has a Doctorate degree.
School Hours: 8:10am-2:45pm
Social Media: Pusch Ridge Christian Academy on Facebook