- considering homeschooling in Tucson?
- currently homeschooling in Tucson?
- moving to Tucson and planning to homeschool?
You’ve come to the right place! This page will help you navigate the current resources, groups, and classes available to homeschool families in Southern Arizona.
HOMESCHOOL LEGAL REQUIREMENTS IN TUCSON, ARIZONA
Arizona is a great state for homeschooling!
According to ARS 15-802, “Homeschool means a nonpublic school conducted primarily by the parent, guardian or other person who has custody of the child or nonpublic instruction provided in the child’s home.”
That statute states that, “Every child between the ages of six and sixteen years shall attend a school and shall be provided instruction in at least the subjects of reading, grammar, mathematics, social studies and science. The person who has custody of the child shall choose a public, private or charter school or a homeschool as defined in this section to provide instruction or shall sign a contract to participate in an Arizona empowerment scholarship account pursuant to section 15-2402.”
In other words, you will need to be sure to instruct your child in reading, grammar, mathematics, social studies, and science.
You also need to file an affidavit of intent with the county school superintendent stating that your child is being provided with instruction in a homeschool.
No additional paperwork, testing, or documentation is required.
For a complete overview of the homeschool laws in Arizona, please see this helpful homeschool information page created by the Pima County School Superintendent.
HOMESCHOOL SUPPORT GROUPS, CO-OPS, AND CLASSES
There are a number of support groups, co-ops, and classes around Tucson. We’ve tried to include them all here for your easy reference.
As of 2018, the highest concentration of homeschool groups and resources appear to be in the northwest Tucson area (including Oro Valley and Marana).
- Christian Home Educators of Tucson Southeast (CHET-SE) – weekly P.E., K-2 playgroup, 3rd-5th grade service club, field trips, K-5 holiday parties, middle school + high school clubs and activities, moms’ night out, library, used curriculum fair, graduation (K, 8th, and 12th), geography bee, yearbook, youth seminar
- Christian Home Educators of Tucson Northwest (CHET-NW) – activities + gatherings in NW Tucson, Marana, and Oro Valley, monthly park day, graduation (K, 8th, and 12th), science fair, lending library, field trips, used curriculum sale, CHET-NW teen group (ages 12+), veteran’s day parade, homeschool mentoring, co-op + enrichment classes at Northwest Community Church
- Christian Home Educators of Tucson Southwest (CHET-SW) – weekly P.E., monthly park days, field trips, limited co-op classes
- Faith Community Church Homeschool Co-op – Kindergarten through high school classes and nursery & preschool programs, meeting at Faith Community Church in northwest Tucson
- Quest for Education and Arts – HUGE selection of classes for preschool through grade 12, M-TH at Christina Taylor Green Education Center in Northwest Tucson, extracurriculars, honor society, clubs (chess, hiking, odyssey of the mind, newspaper, yearbook)
- Sonoran Desert Homeschoolers – weekly P.E., other clubs & activities
- Veritas Academy of Tucson – private Christian, Classical, University Model School, school/homeschool hybrid (2 campus days, 3 days of homeschooling)
A LA CARTE OPTIONS
Some schools in Tucson allow homeschool students to take classes on an “a la carte” or individual basis.
TUCSON HOMESCHOOL FACEBOOK GROUPS
Connecting with other homeschool families on facebook is an excellent way to stay connected to local resources and opportunities.
Feel free to peruse each group’s mission to find one or two that best resonates with your homeschooling style or interests.
- Arizona Christian Homeschoolers (***mostly Phoenix-area resources)
- AFHE Homeschool Arizona (***mostly Phoenix-area resources)
- Homeschoolers of Davis-Monthan AFB
- Northwest Tucson Homeschoolers
- Tucson Area Charlotte Mason Group
- Tucson Area Christian Homeschoolers
- Tucson Hip Homeschool Mamas
- Tucson Hip Homeschool Mamas Curriculum Sale
- Tucson Homeschool Curriculum & More Recycle
- Tucson Saguaro Sun Homeschoolers
TUCSON FIELD TRIPS FOR HOMESCHOOLERS
The best way to find field trips for homeschool students in Tucson is to join one of the above-mentioned groups.
Homeschool field trip options to consider in the Tucson area include:
- Amy’s Donuts
- Apple Store at La Encantada
- AZ-Sonora Desert Museum
- Biosphere 2
- Flandrau Science Center & Planetarium
- International Wildlife Museum
- Joel D Valdez Main Library
- Pima Air & Space Museum
- Reid Park Zoo
- Sabino Canyon
- Therapeutic Ranch for Animals & Kids (TRAK)
- Tohono Chul Park
- Tucson Botanical Gardens
- Tucson Museum of Art
- UA Poetry Center
Homeschool field trip options to consider in Phoenix/Scottsdale and elsewhere in the state include:
- Butterfly Wonderland homeschool days
- Grand Canyon Railway
- Kartchner Caverns State Park
- LEGOLAND Discovery Center (also: homeschool week in August)
- Phoenix Zoo
- Pioneer Living History Museum
- Shamrock Farms
ARIZONA HOMESCHOOL CONVENTIONS & CONFERENCES
The largest (and only) homeschool convention in Arizona is the Arizona Families for Home Education (AFHE) Convention – held annually at the Phoenix Convention Center every July.
Approximately 5,000 people attend this conference, which offers plentiful workshops + classes, a children’s program, a teen program, and a huge expo.
WHERE TO BUY HOMESCHOOL CURRICULUM IN TUCSON
There are not any dedicated homeschool curriculum and supply stores in Tucson, but you may be able to find what you are looking for at:
- Barnes & Noble East, 5130 E. Broadway
- Barnes & Noble West, 7325 N. LaCholla Blvd
- Bookmans (3 locations)
- Friends of the Pima County Public Library Used Book Sales
- Gospel Supplies, 564o E. Broadway
- Jonathan’s Educational Resources, 3100 N. Stone Ave
A relatively new educational shopping option in Tucson is Treasures 4 Teachers at 6800 N. Camino Martin. You join for $35/year and then have access to a wide variety of repurposed school & art supplies. Treasures 4 Teachers IS open to homeschoolers, but you must be able to show proof (likely your affidavit or an AFHE membership card).
If you’re road-tripping to the Phoenix area, you can shop at Covenant Homeschool Resource Center in central Phoenix or one of the two Lakeshore Learning stores (one in Ahwatukee; one in north Phoenix).
CHET-SE, CHET-NW, and Quest (listed above) also maintain their own libraries, stores, or curriculum swap systems.
Best wishes homeschooling in Arizona! If you are still contemplating other options, check out our school spotlights.
***Don’t forget to subscribe to TucsonTopia’s weekly newsletter to find out about local events, attractions, parks, museums, restaurants, and more!***