Rocks & Ropes is a 15,000 square foot facility in downtown Tucson that offers indoor rock climbing for inexperienced to skilled climbers.
If you are a beginner, Rocks and Ropes offers hands-on instruction. You’ll complete a short safety lesson which includes learning how to fasten a harness, how to tie a figure-8 knot, and how to belay. Each wall is labeled from easiest to hardest. A partner is not needed if a climber decides to use the auto-belayed walls.
All equipment is provided at the gym, including the climbing harness and rock shoes. Climbers are able to challenge themselves in balance, flexibility, and strength.
Rocks and Ropes is best for ages 5+ because climbing requires coordination skills. Children under 12 need to be accompanied by an adult, unless summer camp classes have been completed.
Where is Rocks and Ropes located?
Rocks and Ropes is located at 330 S Toole Ave, Tucson, AZ 85701 – directly adjacent to Get Air.
What are the hours?
- Monday-Friday 12-3pm Members ONLY (except during summer)
- Monday-Friday 3-10pm Open Admission
- Saturday-Sunday 9-11am Kids Climb: under 12 only
- Saturday-Sunday 11am-8pm Open Admission
First-time users of the Gym must arrive at least 3 hours prior to close.
Summer Hours start on June 1.
Why would I visit Rocks and Ropes?
- To learn how to rock climb
- To escape the summer sun and have fun indoors
- To experience a new sport
How much does it cost?
- $13 admission [$9 for kids under 12]
- $12 first-time lesson/orientation [ages 12 and up]
- $6 equipment rental [climbing shoes, harness, helmet]
- $30 full first-time package [ages 12 and up]
Are there any specials?
- Monday and Friday: Student/Military Night $9 admission with valid ID
- Wednesday: Family Night (3-10pm) $13 family admission (Children in household under 18); gear and first-time lessons not included in the $13 family fee
- Saturday & Sunday: “Kids Climb” (kids under 12) 9:00am – 11:00am $12 up to 2 hours of climbing, gear, belaying
Can I purchase an annual membership instead?
A monthly membership is available for $53 per person. An annual membership is about $897 for a couple and each child is an additional $164 (ages 12 and under is $12) annually.
What is the parking situation?
Free parking is available at Rocks and Ropes.
What should I wear?
Wear comfortable workout clothing, including pants or shorts that will fit comfortably under a harness. Bring socks for rock shoes.
What should I bring with me?
Water and snacks. There is a water fountain available.
Are restrooms available?
Is outside food allowed? Are picnic tables available?
Yes. There is a small indoor seating area with tables. Food can be delivered to the location or packed ahead of time.
Does Rocks and Ropes have a restaurant or snack bar?
There are a few small snack items available for sale (such as Clif Bars and Vitaminwater). Rocks & Ropes is located close to downtown Tucson, where there are a variety of fabulous dining options.
What restaurants are located NEAR Rocks and Ropes?
All of the below restaurants are located within 1 mile of Rocks & Ropes!
- Cup Cafe, 311 E. Congress St. (0.5 miles away) – indoor & outdoor seating, breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Pizzeria Bianco, 272 E. Congress St. (0.5 miles away) – artisanal pizza
- Hub Restaurant & Ice Creamery, 266 E. Congress St. (0.6 miles away) – burgers, salads, sandwiches, pasta, beer, wine, cocktails, outdoor seating, homemade ice cream in unique flavors
- Downtown Kitchen + Cocktails, 135 S. 6th Ave (0.6 miles away) – Modern American cuisine
- Cafe Poca Cosa, 110 E. Pennington St (0.7 miles away) – “imaginative Mexican cuisine in an upscale, urban bistro setting”
- 47 Scott, 47 N. Scott Ave (0.7 miles away) – a neighborhood bistro featuring Modern American comfort food, brunch and dinner
- Penca, 50 E. Broadway Blvd (0.7 miles away) – Mexico City cuisine and international bar
- Reilly Craft Pizza & Dinner, 101 E. Pennington St (0.7 miles away) – pizza, sandwiches, salad, beer, wine, cocktails
- Caruso’s Italian Restaurant, 434 N. 4th Ave. (0.8 miles away) – pasta, pizza
- La Cocina, 201 N. Court Ave. (1 mile away) – tacos, salads, sandwiches, outdoor seating
- Urban Fresh, 73 E. Pennington St (1 mile away) – whole food, plant-based restaurant that is open for lunch, little or no oils, minimal salt and sugar, no processed ingredients, organic or locally sourced produce, smoothies, juice, wraps, salad
BABIES & KIDS
What ages would be best suited for a visit to Rocks and Ropes?
Ages 5+ is recommended because climbing and belaying can be difficult.
Can I have my child’s birthday at Rocks and Ropes?
Yes. Birthday party pricing is $15-$20/person. Details are listed here: birthdays.
Is Rocks and Ropes active on social media?
What else do I need to know before I see a show at Rocks and Ropes?
- All climbers and bilayers will learn how to tie the figure-8 knot to their own harness. Each climber will have to tie this knot before starting to climb each wall.
- All equipment is provided at the gym.
- If you live in northeast Tucson, consider climbing at the BLOC, a sister location of Rocks & Rope.
- Have FUN!
- LOCATION: 330 S Toole Ave, Tucson, AZ 85701
- PHONE: 520-882-5924
- HOURS: See Above
- COST: See Above