The BLOC is a 20,000 square foot bouldering and fitness facility in northeast Tucson.
The facility includes 7,000 square feet of state-of-the-art bouldering walls, a separate area with a dozen auto-belays, treadwalls, and a wide range of PreCOR cardio and weight equipment, and yoga+pilates classes.
If you are a beginner, the BLOC offers hands-on instruction. Each wall is labeled from easiest to hardest. A partner is not needed if a climber decides to use the auto-belayed walls.
All equipment is provided at the gym, including a climbing harness, rock shoes, and helmet. Climbers are able to challenge themselves in balance, flexibility, and strength.
The BLOC is best for ages 3+ because climbing requires coordination skills. Children under 12 need to be accompanied by an adult, unless summer camp classes have been completed.
Where is the BLOC located?
The BLOC is located at 8975 E Tanque Verde, Suite 155, Tucson – in the same parking lot as the Kirk-Bear Canyon library.
What are the hours?
- Monday-Friday 12-3pm Members ONLY (except during summer)
- Monday-Thursday 3-10pm Open Admission
- Friday 3-8pm Open Admission
- Saturday-Sunday 9-11am Kids Climb: under 12 only
- Saturday-Sunday 11am-8pm Open Admission
First-time users of the Gym must arrive at least 3 hours prior to close.
When are pilates/yoga classes offered?
Yoga classes are offered every weekday morning at 8:30am (except Wednesdays, which have Pilates at 8:30am and Yoga at 9:35am), Saturdays at 8:45am, and Sundays at 9:00am.
Why would I visit the BLOC?
- To learn how to rock climb
- To experience a new sport
- To attend a birthday party
- To workout in the gym
- To take a yoga or pilates class
- To escape the summer sun and have fun indoors
How much does it cost?
- $15 admission [$10 for kids under 12]
- $12 first-time lesson/orientation [ages 12 and up]
- $6 equipment rental [climbing shoes, harness, helmet]
- $30 full first-time package [ages 12 and up]
Are there any specials?
- Wednesdays are Family Night. Everyone in the same household gets in for one day pass. Rental equipment and orientations are not included in the Family Night day pass.
- Saturday & Sunday: “Kids Climb” (kids under 12) 9:00am – 11:00am $15 for 2 hours of climbing + gear
- Military always get in to the Bloc for the discounted day pass of $10. Students get the discounted rate on Mondays and Fridays. Students, Military, and anyone 65+ also get the discounted membership rates.
Can I purchase an annual membership instead?
Membership rates are as follows:
One Person – Regular
One month $75
Six months $359
One year $629
One Person – Discounted (student/military/65+/listed corporations)
One month $65
Six months $290
One year $520
Household (Two Persons)
One month $119
Six months $622
One year $1099
Household Children 0-11 years (with household membership)
One month $1
Six months $6
One year $12
Household Children 12-17 years (with household membership)
One month $39
Six months $121
One year $204
EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer which comes out of your account every month on the 10th)
One Person – Regular $65 per month + $50 initiation fee
One Person – Discounted $53 per month + $50 initiation fee
Household (Two Persons) $104 per month + $50 initiation fee
Household children 0-11 years (with household membership) $1 per month
Household children 12-17 years (with household membership) $25 per month
What is the parking situation?
Free and plentiful parking is available at the BLOC.
What should I wear?
Wear comfortable workout clothing, including pants or shorts that will fit comfortably under a harness. Bring socks for rock-climbing shoes.
What should I bring with me?
Water and snacks. There is a water fountain available.
Are restrooms available?
Is outside food allowed? Are picnic tables available?
Yes (except for alcoholic beverages). There is a small indoor seating area with tables. Food can be delivered to the location or packed ahead of time.
Does the BLOC have a restaurant or snack bar?
There are a few small snack items available for sale (such as Clif Bars and Vitaminwater).
What restaurants are located NEAR the BLOC?
All of the below restaurants are located within 4 miles of the BLOC!
- Le Buzz Caffe, E. Tanque Verde Rd. (0.2 miles away) – european style espresso bar, pastries, breakfast, lunch
- Zona 78, 7301 E. Tanque Verde Rd (2.3 miles away) – artisan pizza, italian dishes, wine, beer, happy hour
- Bruegger’s Bagels, 7127 E. Tanque Verde Rd. (2.5 miles away) – new york sale bagels, coffee, bagel sandwiches, soup
- Poco & Mom’s Cantina, 7000 E. Tanque Verde Rd. (2.7 miles away) – New Mexico style cuisine, made from scratch, breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Eclectic Cafe, E. Tanque Verde Rd. (2.9 miles away) – breakfast, lunch, dinner, Mexican, gluten-sensitive menu
- Renee’s Organic Oven, 7065 E. Tanque Verde Rd. (2.9 miles away) – locally sourced, organic, cocktails, wine, beer, lunch specials, happy hour
- Bistro 44, 6761 E. Tanque Verde Rd. #2 (3.0 miles away) – lunch, dinner, early bird specials, kids menu
- Zinburger Wine & Burger Bar, 6390 E. Grant Rd. (3.6 miles away) – burgers, fries, milkshakes, kids menu
- Prep & Pastry, 6450 E. Grant Rd. #160 (3.6 miles away) – breakfast, brunch, locally sourced ingredients
- Sauce Pizza & Wine, 6450 E. Grant Rd. (3.6 miles away) – pizza, pasta, salad, wine, vegetarian options, gluten-free options
BABIES & KIDS
What ages would be best suited for a visit to the BLOC?
Ages 3+ is recommended.
Can I have my child’s birthday at the BLOC?
Yes. Birthday parties are available for groups of 6 or more. Children 11 or under are $15; tweens/teens over age 12 are $20.
Time slots are available after 3:00pm on weekdays and weekends at 11am, 1pm, 3pm, and 5pm.
Is the BLOC active on social media?
What else do I need to know before I go to the BLOC?
*Have fun and be prepared for sore muscles! Rock-climbing is a full-body workout.
*If you live on the west or central part of Tucson, consider climbing at Rocks & Ropes, the BLOC’s sister location in Downtown Tucson.
- LOCATION: 8975 E Tanque Verde, Suite 155, Tucson
- PHONE: 520-209-BLOC (2562)
- HOURS: See Above
- COST: See Above